When it comes to smart speakers there are three main competitors: Amazon, Google, and Apple. Today, we’re here to talk about the best third-party Alexa speaker for you. Whether you want Alexa as a cooking companion, trivia partner, or glorified timer, we’ve got a lineup of the best Alexa speakers beyond the Amazon hardware ecosystem.
Related: What makes a great smart speaker
The best all-around Alexa speaker: Sonos One
Reasons to consider the Sonos One:
- Sound quality remains clear even at loud volumes.
- You may calibrate sound according to your room via the Trueplay Tuning process.
- Multiroom listening is available with other Sonos speakers.
- It boasts a minimalist, humidity-resistant design with touch capacitive controls on the top panel.
- You can control this Alexa speaker via Apple AirPlay 2 from iOS devices.
Best durability: UE Megablast
Reasons to get the UE Megablast:
- It’s a portable speaker that pumps out loud 360-degree audio.
- It boasts a 16-hour battery life for all-day listening.
- IP67 dust- and water-resistance allows for submersion up to one meter for 30 minutes.
- Integrated passive radiators and dynamic drivers facilitate an exaggerated bass response.
- You can connect via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi with 45-meter and 100-meter connectivity ranges, respectively.
Best soundbar: Polk Command Bar
Reasons to buy the Polk Command Bar:
- It’s compatible with 4K TVs and provides an HDMI ARC cable.
- It produces excellent sound quality aided by the wireless subwoofer.
- You may choose from Bluetooth or Wi-Fi streaming.
- You can choose between different sound modes; Night Mode effectively lessens jarring, loud noises.
Best design: Libratone Zipp
Reasons to buy the Libratone Zipp:
- It lasts 10 hours on a single charge and can be taken on the go.
- You can save up to five presets to play a designated song, playlist, or radio station via a tap or voice command.
- It emits 360-degree audio, and you may alternate between Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity.
- Customize the look of the Zipp to your liking by switching out the speaker covers.
- You can connect up to six Zipp speakers and stream music via AirPlay 2 or SoundSpace Link.
Best sound: Marshall Stanmore II Voice
Reasons to buy the Marshall Stanmore II Voice:
- Classic Marshall guitar amp design without compromising sound quality.
- Bass-reflex system for a clear low-end that doesn’t mask vocals.
- EQ the music to your liking by way of the Marshall Voice app or analog controls on the top panel.
- The far-field dual-microphone array performs well and registers commands effectively.
- You may connect via Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, 3.5mm input, or RCA input.
What you should know about your Alexa speaker
- Alexa integration affords a wide array of skills. Instead of sifting through the frivolous ones, we have a list of the 10 best Alexa skills and apps to get you started.
- Getting started with an Amazon Alexa speaker can be confusing, and unfortunately, virtual assistants are still buggy. On the flip side, many common Alexa speaker issues can be easily resolved.
- Connecting via Wi-Fi allows for high-quality audio streaming that outperforms any Bluetooth codecs.
Why you should trust SoundGuys
SoundGuys.com is our sister site that focuses solely on all things audio. The team has a diversified understanding of audio and respects that certain aspects are objective and quantifiable without disregarding the importance of subjective enjoyment. When it comes to consumer audio, SoundGuys strives to cut through the muck, granting readers more time to enjoy their music. Ultimately, the team hopes to educate readers with each post and pique the interest of fellow audio geeks.